Major research and development projects
- 2001-present: Member of the W3C1 team:
- 2019-present: staff representative for the work on Verifiable Credentials;
- 2017-present: Publishing@W3C Technical Lead, staff representative for the work on EPUB 3;
- 2019-2022: staff representative for the work on Decentralized Identities;
- 2017-2021: member of the W3C Strategy team for publishing on the Web, and member of the W3C Technology and Architecture team as a specialist of publishing and data on the Web;
- 2012-2016: leader of the Digital Publishing Activity;
- 2006-2014: leader of the Semantic Web Activity;
- 2001-2006: head of offices and member of the W3C Semantic Web Coordination Group.
- 2013-2014: Data Citation Synthesis Group, part of Force112.
- 2000: Manager of the Dutch Office of the World Wide Web Consortium.
- 1998-2000: Associated member of the TACIT3 EEC TMR network.
- 1998-2000: Project leader for the Information Visualization project at CWI (some results of this project has been moved to SourceForge).
- 1993-1997: Member of the ERCIM4 (European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics) Computer Graphics Network.
- 1993-1998: ISO/IEC JTC1 SC24/WG6 Premo project (member of the rapporteur group, head of NEN5 delegation, document editor). This project also led to a full implementation of the Standard in Java.
- 1992-1996: MADE6 Project; workpackage manager, project leader for CWI.
- 1990-1993: Manifold7 project; CWI.
- 1988-1990: Dataflow Graphics Workstation system development for the DTN Graphics Engine; project leader for CWI.
- 1986-1988: GKS-3D and CGI Implementation in C for UNIX and MS-DOS; technical project manager, Insotec Consult GmbH.
- 1984-1985: System firmware for the GD85 GKS terminal; SzTAKI8
- 1982-1984: GKS-2D Implementation in C for UNIX and RSX-11; SzTAKI. Note: this was one of the first complete implementations of the GKS9 standard worldwide…
- 1981-1982: Printed circuit board editor for the GD80 Graphics Engine; SzTAKI.
- 1980-1982: Various system software for the GD80 Graphics Engine, like overlay engines, printing support, etc.; SzTAKI.
(I of course participated in numerous other, smaller development projects, but it would be way too long to list them here. These are just the major ones.)
(Co-)promotor and/or examiner of PhD-s
- Luca Costabello, Context-Aware Access Control and Presentation of Linked Data, Université de Nice, 2014 (Co-promotor)
- Alexandre Passant, Technologies du Web Sémantique pour l’Entreprise 2.0, Université Paris-Sorbonne, 2009. (Co-examiner)
- M.Sh. Sagar, A Web-based Approach to Engineering Adaptive Collaborative Applications, Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom, 2009. (Co-examiner)
- Ossi Nykänen, Knowledge Agents via Logic Programming and Fuzzy Reasoning, University of Tampere, Finland, 2007. (Examiner)
- Scott Marshall, Methods and Tools for the Visualization and Navigation of Graphs (Méthodes et outils pour la visualisation et la navigation de données relationnelles), University of Bordeaux, France, 2001. (Co-promotor)
- J.E.A. van Hintum, Quality Constraints & Constrained Quality, University of Eindhoven, the Netherlands, 1997. (Co-promotor)
(I am not affiliated to any university, nor do I have a university title. Participating in PhD work was therefore not part of my usual job…)